The FlowTracker2 (FT2) handheld Acoustic Doppler Velocimeter (ADV®) has all the technology you have grown to know and trust with the original FlowTracker, but now comes with functional, modernized features (Bluetooth, GPS and large color screen, to name only a few) based on the evaluation and feedback from hydrologists, researchers and scientists who have made the FlowTracker their instrument of choice.
Download the brochure for the NEW FlowTracker2 Lab ADV®!
But the real power becomes clear from the moment you start to collect data. Each step of the way FT2 guides you along the measurement process with visual prompts and SmartQC audio alerts just in case something important needs your attention.
FT2 handheld software is intuitive, easy to navigate and includes real-time plots of point data, QC parameters, and measurement verticals, giving you everything you need at-a-glance. Get defensible data correctly, the first time, every time, and minimize data handling back at the office.
With rugged construction for any climate and multiple display options for both day and night, FT2 goes whenever and wherever you need it to go.
At its core, FT2 uses SonTek’s tried-and-true ADV technology, vetted for decades by experts across the globe, in hydraulics labs and wide-ranging field environments. Improved and perfected for FT2, the acoustic-based ADV sensor offers unparalleled accuracy, particularly in low flow, and in the shallowest water of any wading device. 2-D data in the horizontal plane (2D/3D option available) allows the most comprehensive QC and understanding about flow conditions. User calibration is never required, and 24/7 tech support from SonTek and our worldwide team is only a call or click away.
Some of the major improvements now featured in FT2 come straight from field users like you. Here is a short list of time-saving, fool-proof features:
- Embedded GPS for georeferencing with automatic or manual fixes
- Improved ADV acoustics: faster pinging, lower noise and better standard error
- Battery life icon on the screen at all times. Pre-load the spare cartridge and replace, even mid-measurement, with no data loss
- Detachable probe with extension cables to customize cable length up to 10m
- Probes and handhelds are interchangeable—flexibility within agency teams and when sending equipment for service
- Set up and save templates—no need to re-enter data every time you visit a site
- Bluetooth or direct USB interface with PC
- Audio prompts
There is a lot to get excited about when using the new FT2 handheld. Intuitive workflow and rich graphics make for a modernized, interactive experience. Now you can:
- Rely on FT2 to automatically conform to proper methods based on depth
- View beam check or QC plots directly - know immediately if you have signal or beam blockage problems
- Get real-time plots of velocity and other parameters
- Enter comments and gage heights with any station
- View a running discharge summary
- See an image of top-set wading rod
- View an on-screen tilt sensor
- Edit data
SmartQC is a built-in quality control feature that gives you the added assurance your FlowTracker data is correct. With each measurement, data is compared to a variety of adaptive QC criteria to ensure the best measurement possible.
|Velocity Range||±0.001 to 4.0 m/s (0.003 to 13 ft/s)|
|Velocity Resolution||0.0001 m/s (0.0003 ft/s)|
|Velocity Accuracy||+/1% of measured velocity, +/- 0.25cm/s|
|Acoustic Frequency||10.0 MHz|
|Sampling Volume Location||10 cm (3.93 in) from the center transducer|
|Minimum Depth||0.02 m (0.79 in)|
|Depth Measurement Range||0 to 10m (0 to 32.81ft)|
|Depth Measurement Resolution||0.001m (0.003ft)|
|Depth Sensor Accuracy||+/- 0.1% of FS (temperature compensated over full operating range)|
|+/- 0.05% Static (steady-state at 25°C)|
|Additionally compensated for real-time
water velocity, temperature, salinity, and altitude.
|Temperature Sensor||Resolution: 0.01° C, Accuracy: 0.1° C|
|Tilt Sensor||Accuracy: 1.0°|
|Operating/Storage Temperature||-20° C to 50° C (-4° F to 122° F)|
|Probe Head Dimensions||(L)13.3 cm (5.22 in)
(W) 6.1 cm (2.39 in)
(H) 2.3 cm (0.90 in)
|Standard Cable Length||1.5 m (4.92 ft)|
|Weight in Air||0.90 kg (1.98 lbs)|
|Weight in Water||0.30 kg (0.66 lbs)|
|Input Battery Voltage||8 - 12 VDC|
|Power Supply||8 X AA Batteries|
|Battery Life||15 hours continuous use, typical settings1|
|Power Consumption||1 W (Average)|
|GPS: H. Position Accuracy||Up to 2.5 m (8.2 ft) nominal2
|GPS: Frequency||L1 (1.575 MHz)
SBAS compensation (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS, GAGAN)
|LCD Resolution||320 X 240 TFT Transmissive|
|Bluetooth||Class 2, Range = 10 m (33 ft) nominal|
|USB||Micro USB, IP-67|
|Battery Power to Probe||8 - 12 VDC|
|Data Storage||16 GB. Up to 10k discharge measurements
Up to 10 million velocity samples
|Operating Temperature||Alkaline Batteries: -20° to 45°C (-4°F to 113°F)
NiMH: -20° to 50°C (-4°F to 122°F)
|Storage Temperature||-30° to 70° C (-22° F to 158° F)3|
|Waterproof Rating||IP-67 (1m submersible)|
|Handheld Dimensions||(L)10.4 cm (4.1 in)
(W) 6.4 cm (2.5 in)
(H) 23.7cm (9.3 in)
|Weight in Air||0.75 kg (1.65 lbs)|
|Weight in Water||-0.25 kg (-0.55 lbs)|
1Defined as power on with screen on at 100% brightness, ADV sensor pinging 50% of the time, GPS off, and no sleep periods. Actual battery life will vary depending on FT2 settings, manner of use and brand of battery.
2Ideal conditions and settings. GPS data are intended for approximate georeferencing and site ID.
3Remove batteries from FlowTracker2 handheld if storage temperatures exceeds operating temperature of Alkaline and NiMH batteries as stipulated above.
FlowTracker2 Software - PC
Comprehensive tables and time series graphs allow you to visualize and QC data during analysis. Change SmartQC criteria and edit data—yet rest assured the original file will always remain untouched. FT2's open-source JSON file format is ready to be read into any organization's database, and is supported with direct import to Hydstra and WISKI.
FlowTracker2 — v 1.6 — 29JAN2019
Graph, view, analyze, and edit data collected with the FlowTracker2 instrument, and generate reports using the Windows-based FlowTracker2 software. Station data as well as point measurements can be edited, yet the original data file will always be preserved. View beam checks and perform many other diagnostic and QC checks whose criteria can also be manipulated in software settings. Generate or edit template files in the office which can be uploaded to the FlowTracker instrument and used to save time in the field. Export data to *.CSV format or import the FlowTracker's open-souce JSON files directly to databases.
Some of the latest improvements include:
- Improved work flow and display for under ice measurements
- Station number now included in title bar at each point measurement so you always know what station you are at and how many you’ve performed
- The maximum number of templates has been increased to 100 so you can store your entire agency’s site information for quick measurement set-up
- The mean velocity calculation in the discharge summary is now based on Q/A (and not the measured mean of all stations)
- User can now enter manual temperature and salinity values in the supplemental data
- Additional valuable information has been added to the discharge summary: beam check plots, start/end time
- Improved software speed
FlowTracker2 software includes language support for English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese (traditional and simplified), Japanese, Korean, Polish, Catalan, Romanian and Greek. A built-in multi-language translator tool can be used to customize software for additional languages and regional terminology.
- Microsoft Windows 7 or newer
- 1GHz processor or better (2 GHz recommended)
- 2GB memory (4GB recommended)
- 500 MB available disk space (1GB recommended)
- Monitor capable of 1024x768 resolution, or better